DIY LOW-TOX NAIL POLISH REMOVER
DIY LOW TOX NAIL POLISH REMOVER
That Actually Works!
BUT WHY Make the Switch?
I am sure if you have opened a bottle at all in your lifetime then you would know that just opening it smells like it is highly toxic...because it is. They sometimes even cover up the toxic smells with another toxic chemical cocktail called 'synthetic fragrance'. This term can contain up to 3000 difference chemicals that are usually known carcinogens and endocrine disruptors.
Here’s some cool research about why most nail polish remover is so toxic and should be avoided when this simple recipe works and cost very little too. I mean just open the bottle and I’m sure most people would agree that it’s toxic.
Here is some PubMed articled I found, just in case you still don’t believe that this stuff is harmful…
1️⃣ Nail polish removers: are they harmful?
2️⃣ Acetone-free nail polish removers: are they safe?
HERE'S THE RECIPE
- 30ml Glass Spray Bottle
- About 20ml Isopropyl Alchohol (used for hand sanitisers etc)
- Essential Oils of Choice - Lemon, Lemongrass, Tea Tree are great!
- MCT Coconut oil - Liquid Coconut Oil
1. Add 3/4 fill a 30ml glass bottle with isopropyl alcohol (this is available from chemists or just Bunnings and is not no-tox of course but lower tox) It's just alcohol. Use vodka if you must...but I have not tried that version yet.
2. Then I like to use a combination of these 3 essential oils. You don't need to use all of them but even just try with one or two if you have them. It's about 20-30 drops so you can play around with this if you like, depending on the oils you have.
💧10 drops lemongrass essential oil
💧10 drops lemon essential oil
💧5 drops tea tree essential oil
ADD About 5 ml or a small splash of liquid coconut oil to moisturise nails (I used the organic @melrosehealth coconut oil for this recipe)
Spray onto nails and leave on for about 30 secs to a minute then spray into a cotton pad or ball.
Use the cotton pad or ball that is soaked in the remover to rub off the rest of the polish with a little elbow grease. So easy and low tox!
PLUS - You can also use it to clean and sanitise your nail clippers & other nail equipment too!
I only use doTERRA essential oils as they are the purest and most sustainably harvested oils in the world. Tea tree is sourced right here in Australia too! You can purchase oils here and save 25%: www.mydoterra.com/aromaleaf
I know that I will not like to use those toxic removers ever again, knowing that this recipe works well.